Supporting your church financially
Stewardship is a biblical principle about sharing God’s generosity. In creation and through Jesus, God has given us everything that we have, and all that we are. Our giving to God is a response to this and expresses our thankfulness for all his gifts. As Christians we are called to be good stewards to build up God’s kingdom – our skills, time, wealth, and environment.
St Paul advocates in 1 Corinthians 16:2 that giving should be regular, universal, planned and proportionate – each according to their means.
The mission and ministry of the worldwide Church is only achieved through the generous giving of its members. Contrary to public perception, churches are not funded by government, grants / trusts or other central bodies, but rely entirely on planned giving, collections / donations alongside any revenue they can achieve through enterprise such as hire fees and fundraising events.
At St Stephen’s Church our annual costs are £78,000. This is £1,500 per week
This is made up of:
- £9,000 for Ministry costs (music, children & youth, worship, pastoral care, work with schools, etc)
- £7,000 to support mission & development links in UK and internationally – projects serving poor communities in Jerusalem, Zambia and elsewhere
- £20,000 to keep the building running for community and church use – the only public space in Lansdown. Gas & electricity, insurance, maintenance, repairs etc.
- £12,000 to run the Church Office and Church Centre – communications, bookings, PA to our Parish Priest, organising weddings, funerals, baptisms and other public events
- £30,000 as “Parish Share” to the Diocese to pay our share towards the ministry and mission of the Church through providing Clergy. We receive more than we pay for, as the cost of a Parish Priest (including selection, training, ongoing in-service training, housing, pension, and annual stipend of £21k) is £40k per year.
How much should I give?
Please consider including St Stephen’s Church in your Will. Legacies make a real difference to the church. Click here for advice on Wills….
We encourage all members of the congregation to set up a Standing Order to St Stephen’s Church PCC, and to sign a Gift Aid form. This increases the value of your giving by 28%.
Our Treasurer, Martin Williams, would be happy to advise you and give you the church’s bank account details for your Standing Order.
Call him on 01225 420946 or send an online message via the Church Office…